29 July 2013

Girl Behind the Blog: Encouragement

Oh my word. This is a good day!

I'm so excited, honoured, and just plain 'ol thrilled to be co-hosting the Girl Behind the Blog today with Ashley of written on her heart.

living a life of encouragement

I am very talented at photoshopping. RIGHT?!?!

I talked a little bit about Ashley last week, but I want to do it some more! Ashley is great. Seriously. She has this ability to share the goodness of the gospel with a very honest and bold kindness that I don't see everywhere. She's quick to supplement her wisdom with scripture (as any God fearing woman should), and she's also gracious to extent warmth to everybody she encounters. She is someone who embodies encouragement.

Up until a few months ago, Ashley blogged under the namesake 5ohwifey, which I'm told is cop language! :) She shared a lot of good stuff on her old blog, and has been really wise after recently having a baby to take a bit of a step back from writing in order to really love the days she is in. I truly respect her for that.

Anyway. Ashley is back in full force today to bring back the very best linkup around! What makes this linkup so great is that this linkup is for everybody! If you've got a camera and a couple minutes to spare, share a little bit of your heart! All you have to do is make a video that is 2-3 minutes long, upload it, follow both my blog and Ashley's blog, and then spend some time loving on each other in the link up. I am always so encouraged by the vlogs that I watch! It's great to hear what people have to say, and to get to know each other better.

Before I share my vlog, I wanted to share 3 quick tips to making a great vlog:

1. Stick to the prompt and time limit. It takes a long time to watch all of these videos, and I know that Ashley always watches them all, I tend to, and I'm pretty sure I could name off a few other great friends of ours who do the same. It's a big commitment. Keep it short and sweet. People will like you for that!

2. Act like yourself.  One thing I often find when I watch vlogs is that people tend to whisper. Pretend the camera is a friend. Speak up. Speak normal. You don't have to yell, but you also really don't need to whisper.

3. Plan what you're going to say. You're more likely to stick to the prompt and the time limit if you've plotted out how long your intro should take (say 30-45 seconds) and then give yourself about 30 seconds per question. That gives you about a 30-45 second leeway at the end if you've gone over.

Now that I've shared those 3 tips, you should know that I only followed the second tip. Whoops.


There you have it.

I've got so much more to say about encouragement, but I think I'll save it for another day. If you've got a few minutes, I've written about encouragement before. I shared about tangible encouragement, 5 tips to a joyful life, and why I love getting mail.

I'm so glad you're here and I'm so thankful for you taking the time to watch my video. Be sure to follow my blog and Ashley's blog, share the button, and then link up!! THEN tell everybody you know and get them to link up too!