05 July 2012

Thursday - Thanks!

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 ESV)
This week I'm thankful for much!

I'm sitting in an emotionally rough place simply due to the nature of working with the youth that I do. They are beautiful people and just like me, they're broken. This has been a week filled with tears and many many many shouts to Jesus in desperation. He has been faithful. These are the ways He's brought comfort this week.
  • Hugs. There was a moment this week where I knew a breakdown as going to happen and the timing couldn't have been worse. I managed to grab another leader (who I had met just days before). He saw me and just gave me a huge hug and let me sob as he prayed. In that moment, Jesus came in the form of a hug.
    I'm thankful. Oh so thankful.
     
  • Refreshing friends. Each day this week before my shift I've managed to hang out with great people. They refresh me. They each encourage and motivate, speak truth and love. They each allow me to do the same to them. These conversations in the morning before long afternoons and evenings have pulled me through the day. In each conversation, Jesus has been like a cool wind on a hot day.
    I'm thankful.
     
  • Beaches. Vancouver weather has brightened up this week. Before work yesterday I managed to fit in a beach hour and a half with a friend. Her four boys played as we chatted. She just listened as I talked about stuff going on, none of which had to do with the work week going on. I always find it best to talk about my heart issues with married friends. These women have beautiful wisdom. The sunshine refreshed my skin and her words refreshed my soul. Jesus was sunshine and conversation.
    I'm thankful.
     
  • Cookies. On Tuesday, when I arrived home after a shift that went over an hour longer than I had thought it would - which was fine because I had volunteered to stay late - I was exhausted. The day had weakened me. I walked into my home and found a note from my roommate that said "eat me" beside cookies. Jesus showed up in the form of chocolate chips.
    I'm thankful.
     
  • Prayer via texts. This week has led me to send numerous texts of desperation to friends seeking prayer in moments when I don't think I can go on. Jesus has shown up in answered prayers, in comfort filled texts, and so much more. Oh man, my God is good.
    I'm thankful.
Margaret at Floral and Frayed is also filled with gratitude this week. Check out her blog and let her and I know what you're thankful for!