10 September 2013

{a walk through} psalm 73

My testimony

As I started looking at this Psalm a while ago (I tend to be about ten Psalms in advance, not necessarily with my posts written, but with the verses and graphics made), I couldn't help but find myself in verse 3.

For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

I've shared this story in small portions enough that I don't feel a need to drudge it out again, but, a few years back, I walked away from the Lord. Not because I did not believe in Him but because I wanted to serve myself.

I spent somewhere between a year and two years juggling selfishness and Christianity. And it's all because I was envious of those I saw around me.

So this verse, it's all too familiar for me.

Eventually, Jesus broke me to a place where I decided that I had to choose one or the other. I could no longer do the balancing act of a good Christian when I was at church and a girl who had no desire to live for God every other moment.

I moved cities and let Jesus welcome me back.

The end of this Psalm is sweet to me.

Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
        you hold my right hand.
    You guide me with your counsel,
        and afterward you will receive me to glory.
    Whom have I in heaven but you?
        And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
    My flesh and my heart may fail,
        but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73:23-26

Because of the goodness of the Lord, He is the strength of my heart, and He is my portion forever.

What's your story? What did Jesus save you from?