15 August 2012

Scripturally Skewed

The other day I was reading in Colossians 3. Someone had posted just one verse on a blog I read so I hopped over to the chapter to read it. Sometimes I like doing that so I can be sure that the context of a verse is correct. It's too easy for me to just post a verse without reading a chapter so I try to catch myself in that - all scripture is true but can easily be skewed if not read together and correctly.

Anyways, I hopped over and read the chapter and realized that I'd missed so much of it all of the past times that I had read it.
See, I love the epistles. Other than the book of Psalms, you'll most often find me in the epistles. They're quick and short and sometimes I read them as feel good scripture. Aka I read them when I want to feel good about myself. I'll read them and place myself fully in the "but now you are" and avoid the fact that my heart might be sitting quick comfortably in the "once were".

I can't do that though. I can't even believe I never caught myself doing that until today. I was reading and realized that I had legitimately just skipped over anything about sin and hopped right to the pretty verses.

I said aloud: Whoa. Did I just, God, I'm sorry! That's awful of me, eh? Seriously. K.

He gave me the typical there ya go Nadine, you finally caught on knowing glance He often gives me (or at least that's what I imagine from Him).

Here's the first seventeen verses of Colossians 3. I've highlighted and bolded, added and made note so that I'll realize what I've been missing.

It's long but I think it's also beautiful and telling of areas for me (and maybe you?) where I've let myself sit too comfortably in sin.
If then (You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? This persuasion is not from him who calls you. Galatians 5:7-8) you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. (For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.Romans 6:14) For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. (What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. Romans 6:1-4) When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
    Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: (It was here that I started skimming. I stopped reading and excused myself from these sins. I stopped into a box I created called "not my issues" and avoided even looking at my heart to see that these are my issues. The words themselves might not be my sins, but the heart of these sins are. The heart of all sin is that I am better than God and can be satisfied without Him.) sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire (
I don't know if I've ever gone a day without an evil desire. I wish I could say that I have sinless days but I know that isn't true of this heart. I might be successful sometimes to not have any visible sin show up, but my heart consistently tries to dethrone God and create majesty for myself), and covetousness (um, have you been reading my last posts? I consistently covet marriage. I have to lay down that sin more than any other sin in my life these days. I hate how often I desire things that others have. I covet the friendships of others, I covet the things of others, I even covet the faith of others. I need ((and receive, thank You Jesus)) so much grace in these areas.), which is idolatry (If I have made gold my trust or called fine gold my confidence, if I have rejoiced because my wealth was abundant or because my hand had found much, if I have looked at the sun when it shone, or the moon moving in splendor, and my heart has been secretly enticed, and my mouth has kissed my hand, this also would be an iniquity to be punished by the judges, for I would have been false to God above. Job 31:24-28). On account of these the wrath of God is coming. In these you too once walked, when you were living in them (The implication here being that I've changed and walked away from these sins. In many ways, I'm not living out these sins that way others might be, but yet my heart still sits in them. How do you deal with avoiding these sins?). But now you must (not, "you should", or "maybe consider") put them all away: anger (Sooooo I can't be mad even when I want to be mad?), wrath, malice, slander (But that girl totally deserves to be spoken poorly about right? Right? Oh crap.), and obscene talk from your mouth. (These verses show up all throughout the NT letters. We're not called to these. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:31-32) Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, (Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2 - oh Lord, help me please. The desire I have is to honour You always. Teach me how, walk me through this.) which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all. (In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit. Ephesians 2:22)
    (
And now enters the verses that I look up on bad days, the ones I like to group myself into, and the ones that I probably fail at most) Put on then, as God's chosen ones (Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Romans 8:33), holy and beloved (I cling to this comfort, that I am beloved by God. That is the largest comfort I know), compassionate hearts, (So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Philippians 2:1-4) kindness, humility (It's only by His grace that I can give Him glory), meekness, and patience (Patience even to those who are the reason patience was created.), bearing with one another and, (Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. Mark 11:24-25) if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other (Forgiveness is such a touchy subject I find. I feel like I keep hearing people saying that they've given up on others and given too many chances. Isn't that the opposite of forgiveness? How am I failing at forgiveness?); as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love (Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. Ephesians 5:1-2), which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ (The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. John 17:22-23) rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. (For God is not unjust so as to overlook your work and the love that you have shown for his name in serving the saints, as you still do. And we desire each one of you to show the same earnestness to have the full assurance of hope until the end, so that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises. Hebrews 6:10-12) And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom (Does not wisdom call? Does not understanding raise her voice? Proverbs 8:1), singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do (So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31), in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
(Colossians 3:1-17 ESV)

Well . . . my heart feels checked.

It's in these moments when I grasp my sin as larger than normal (aka I view my sin accurately) that I also grasp grace and mercy as well.

God is good.