11 October 2012

Heavy Laden

These days I've been walking up to Jesus carrying a lot of stuff.

Typically He gives me His oh Nadine smile (which I like to call grace and mercy intermingled perfectly) and slowly unloads the things I'm carrying, or should I say grasping desperately.

    Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”
   
(Luke 10:38-42 ESV)

He grabs busy and asks me how she makes me feel.

He takes a hold of impatience and questions me why I brought her along again.

He notices that I seemed to be grasping control even more tightly than I normally do and asks if I would consider letting Him have her back.

He literally crushes moralism into a million pieces.


    Incline your ear, and hear the words of the wise,
        and apply your heart to my knowledge,
    for it will be pleasant if you keep them within you,
        if all of them are ready on your lips.
    That your trust may be in the LORD,
        I have made them known to you today, even to you.
(Proverbs 22:17-19 ESV)

He calls out to laziness and tells her that she isn't invited to stick around.

There's more He has taken and will take.
Every day He takes something new.

He doesn't add anything heavy.

Except more grace.
And more mercy.
More love.
Hope.
Joy.
Peace. 
Rest.

He's a gracious King.


    All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
(Matthew 11:27-30 ESV)

Oh sanctification - you're so fun.