09 October 2012

To Movement

Chatting with God recently led me to these verses.


    And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
   
(1 Thessalonians 5:14-18 ESV)

I appreciate what Charles Spurgeon shares in his sermon on these verses:

"The more praying the more rejoicing. Prayer gives a channel to the pent-up sorrows of the soul, they flow away, and in their stead streams of sacred delight pour into the heart. At the same time the more rejoicing the more praying; when the heart is in a quiet condition, and full of joy in the Lord, then also will it be sure to draw nigh unto the Lord in worship. Holy joy and prayer act and react upon each other."
"You are always in danger of being tempted; there is no position in life in which you may not be assaulted by the enemy. "Pray without ceasing," therefore. A man who is going along a dark road where he knows that there are enemies, if he must be alone and has a sword with him, he carries it drawn in his hand, to let the robbers know that he is ready for them. So Christian, pray without ceasing; carry your sword in your hand, wave that mighty weapon of all-prayer of which Bunyan speaks. Never sheathe it; it will cut through coats of mail. You need fear no foe if you can but pray. As you are tempted without ceasing, so pray without ceasing."
‎"Never give up praying, not even though Satan should suggest to you that it is in vain for you to cry unto God. Pray in his teeth; "pray without ceasing." If for awhile the heavens are as brass and your prayer only echoes in thunder above your head, pray on; if month after month your prayer appears to have miscarried, and no reply has been vouchsafed to you, yet still continue to draw nigh unto the Lord. Do not abandon the mercy-seat for any reason whatever."
These three small sections of his sermon are incredible. They're beautiful. They're inspiring.
BUT they're so much more than inspiring. I often dislike when people say that something encouraged or inspired them, not because I don't want people to be both of those things but because I truly pray that they're encouraged and inspired to movement.
When I hear God speak to me, I want to move in His words. I don't want to just let them slide past my ears. I want them to sink into my soul and impact my every day.
      I have told the glad news of deliverance
        in the great congregation;
    behold, I have not restrained my lips,
        as you know, O LORD.
    I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart;
        I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation;
    I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness
        from the great congregation.
(Psalm 40:9-10 ESV)
How do you faithfully walk forward in what you hear from God?