22 November 2012

Fearless Abandon


 
My lovely older sister Lynette was in town for a couple weeks. It was really nice to chat life with her. She's the sister whose home I ran away to back in May when I needed a moment of calm before I buckered down to find a summer job. 

(top l-r, row by row) Sister love (with a stroller full of flowers and children), Baking yummy cookies with my special helper, A very cold beach day, Enjoying the flowers with the 6, Picnic time, Stretches after a run, Cuddles with a CUTIE.

I honestly think she's one of the most calm people I've ever met. She is a mom of 6 and she consistently amazes me! She and her kids write in a gratitude journal every single school day - that is something that seems like a great idea to me!

She's the one I call when I'm stressed out of my mind and just need to not talk about it or when I do need to talk about it.

Anyways  . . . while she was here, we were talking one night about trust. 

God has been working with my little heart in the trust area. I'm so quick to stop trusting and I'm super slow at remembering that God is sovereign. (I've even written about my trust issues here, here, and here)

One gains trust by trusting. Akin to a trust fall - you just gotta lean back and trust that the person will catch you.

I'm the youngest of four by a few years. Lynette is 13 years older than me and she told me that as a kid, at youth group (aka when I was like 5 or so) I would join in the trust falls when they did them.

So, this is how a trust fall should work.

Catcher: do you trust me?
Faller: yes.
Catcher: okay, I'm ready, you can fall.
Faller: .......falls....

Or something like that.


Lynette told me that this is how I'd do it as a kid.

Me: I trust you!
FALL
And then the catchers would catch me, regardless of whether they were ready or not.

But that's what true trust in God should look like right?

Fearless abandon.

My heart is working on it. I'm still checking in with God all the time to make sure He's ready (as if He would ever not be though) - but one of these days it'll be back to fearless abandon.


    My son, do not forget my teaching,
        but let your heart keep my commandments,
    for length of days and years of life
        and peace they will add to you.
    Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you;
        bind them around your neck;
        write them on the tablet of your heart.
    So you will find favor and good success
        in the sight of God and man.
    Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
        and do not lean on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge him,
        and he will make straight your paths.
    Be not wise in your own eyes;
        fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.
    It will be healing to your flesh
        and refreshment to your bones.
(Proverbs 3:1-8 ESV)

True trust simply falls.