07 December 2012

Leaving a legacy



I got a phone call a few weeks after I finished my summer internship. It was one of my supervisors calling to encourage me. She had been driving one of the youth I worked with somewhere and had asked her how her summer had been and how she had liked being paired with me.

The girl, bless her lovely heart, said that I had taught her how to be confident.

WHAT!?!?!


I was blown away that God had used me in this capacity to encourage this girl to be confident, mostly because I had never once, not even for a second, considered teaching this girl confidence.

I just acted like myself.





 Let me let you in on a little secret . . . I'm not actually very confident.


And I think that is something God is trying to teach me.

Which, if you've been reading along this week, is something He's been encouraging me to share.

When I walk boldly into something standing on my own strength, it usually flops.

But when I'm loving Jesus, constantly studying the Word with joyful diligence, seeking His presence, and acting like a normal human being, suddenly everyday things become legacies.

This isn't a pride post. I promise.

It's a go live your life and love Jesus every minute because I bet people are going to notice.

I also promise that I'm not saying "preach the gospel and if necessary use words". Always use words. Every minute. No one should question if you love Jesus and no one will know if you never mention His name. But, with this girl, in the context of working with her this summer, we just talked about life. And somehow I encouraged her to be more confident. And my prayer for her now is that her confidence in herself will lead her to a deep relationship with the One who made her.

I want to point to Jesus always.  





Not well-traveled, not well-read
Not well-to-do, or well-bred
Just want to hear instead
Well done, good and faithful one