14 June 2012

Thursday - Thanks!

Next up for changes on the blog:

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 ESV)

Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.
(James 5:13 ESV)

    If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
(Galatians 5:25-26 ESV)

As I explore the Bible I see so many calls to be thankful. Even in our prayers we're called to thankful (Philippians 4).

Thanksgiving is more than just a holiday. It's a habit that as Christians we're called to participate in.

Thus begins Thursday - Thanks!

I'm sure you'll catch on soon. 

  • Jesus.
    I can't say it enough. I love my Saviour and need Him much. He's guiding everything. As I was driving home from my morning shift today I was thinking about how often I'm drawn to sin. The temptation to fall into certain things is there but Jesus pulls me to Him. He never gives me more than I can bear (wow) and He always provides a way out. (If you need a direct example - check out this post from months back) Jesus is my God. I am eternally grateful for Him.
    I'm thankful.
  • Women of faith who know my heart.
    There are lots of things going on in my heart. I feel like the godly women in my life have been working overtime the past two weeks. Speaking wisdom into areas where I thought were fine. God's calling me to move in an area where I would have really liked to stay still. The faithfulness of these mentors and friends who are sending me texts, calling me, or in the case of my roommate - staying up until the wee hours of the night - is amazing.
    I'm thankful.
  • A job.
    This week has not been the most fun in my life in terms of working. There have been excellent moments and rough moments. I've had to work extra hours, do things I don't find joy in and have spent a couple hours minutes crying to Jesus about it. Jesus has been understanding and pointed me to Himself to find comfort - if He can endure the cross, I can endure a bad couple work days. I'm thankful for this job. I'm learning much, being stretched much and daily having to choose joy over grumbling. It's excellent for my soul. There are also a trillion incredible moments in my work day, like yesterday when I got to build a fort of blankets and play with a 3 year old. I'm so aware that there are many many many people who would love a job so I am thankful for mine - for the easy, hard, and in-between days.
    I'm thankful.
  • Home.
    Through my new job I'm realizing that having a home is a privilege. While all my friends typically share this privilege, many of the youth I work with aren't in the same state. They might have a house to stay the night, but a home is a bit harder to come by. I'm thankful for my apartment. While I don't think I've ever not been thankful for it (come on, it's beautiful) I'm becoming more and more thankful. I just ordered some verses from naptime diaries and I'm so excited to find frames and put up the scripture everywhere so I can be reminded of truth in each room!
    I'm thankful.
  • An intervening Holy Spirit.
        “And I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man also will acknowledge before the angels of God, but the one who denies me before men will be denied before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but the one who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. And when they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not be anxious about how you should defend yourself or what you should say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.” (Luke 12:8-12 ESV)
    I'm thankful.
Those are five things I'm thankful for today.

What about you? What are you thankful for?