12 June 2012

Tune-y Tuesday (My Beloved)

Let me introduce you to Tune-y Tuesday!

I love music. A lot. So much! Music, I think, has a beautiful way of leading us to Jesus or pulling us from Him (though it can also do many many other things). Over the past season of life, however long that has been, Jesus has been calling me to redeem some of the music I listen to.

See, I love my pop music. I love my Katy Perry and Justin Bieber, and even a bit of Flo Rider. (One of the youth I work with went through my iTunes music the other day and said I didn't take you as a Flo Rider type of girl . . . and . . . You like every kind of music don't you? Yes I do) I love them. I love catchy music.

That's not wrong. It's not wrong of me to love music and to let myself dance to it. But it is an issue when the words that float in my head aren't life giving.

Music sticks with us. It is powerful. I read an article recently on how our music (in churches) needs to be more theologically sound than our sermons since it's the songs we sing in church that resonate in our head for the rest of the day. (I think they said something along the lines of, 'do you ever catch yourself singing the sermon?') I think that's a bit harsh in the sense that our sermons had sure better be theologically (big word which to me mainly just means pointing us to Jesus and using Him as our springboard for truth) sound.

I still love love love pop music and listen to it. But I'm being a bit more consciencous about listening to music that points me to Jesus more often than I listen to the ones that just make me laugh and dance. (note - this doesn't mean I only listen to Christian music. I think a LOT of Christian music is awful - poorly written and far too often just speaks about changing our morals rather than turning our hearts over to Jesus - what I'm doing is listening to good music that point me to Jesus. Some of the time it means that I listen to music written by people who love Jesus - and have found a way to write good music - and some of the time it means I listen for Jesus in other songs. Either way I hear Jesus.)

So thus begins Tune-y Tuesday. It's not Music Monday (giggle giggle) - well, maybe it is just on a different day. But I have a plan for Monday's that should probably start next week so I needed music to go on Tuesday (hence the "tune"-y part. Get it? Oh no - shoot)

I want to share music that I find life-giving. The songs that bring me to Jesus and put truth on my lips and heart, mind and soul.

Okay - enough preamble, what's the song????.

Today's song is My Beloved by Kari Jobe. 

I love it! Take a listen. Seriously - let your heart hear the words that Jesus has for you today.


Read these lyrics as the song sings to you. The bold parts were my prayers as I listened to it today.


You're My Beloved
You're My Bride
To sing over you is My delight
Seriously?
Come away with Me My love
Okay, but only if you're sure.

You're Beautiful to Me
Really? Cause I'm not sure.
So beautiful to Me
Oh, you said it twice - okay I guess you mean it Jesus.

Under My mercy
Come and wait
Till we are standing face to face
I see no stain on you
There are too many stains to count. Jesus, thank you for not counting them.
My child

You're Beautiful to Me
So Beautiful to Me

I sing over you My song of peace
Well, that's good because you know how restless I get.
Cast all your care down at My feet
This I can do. Holding on to them gets me no where at all.
Come and find your rest in Me

At this point in the song, I was driving and trying not to cry.
These words are so beautiful.
So overwhelming.
Jesus is so good.

I'll breathe My life inside of you
Sweet.
I'll bear you up on eagle's wings
Are you sure?
And hide you in the shadow of My strength
Then that is where I will rest.
I'll take you to My quiet waters
I'll restore your soul
Well Jesus, if you're sure about this, I'm going to take you up on this.
Come rest in Me and be made whole

You're My beloved
You're My Bride
To sing over you is my delight
Come away with me my love
The fact that Jesus cares for me is incredible. I listened to this song three times in a row. The first time I was just singing along like normal, but I felt like Jesus told me to stop singing and just rest in it.
So I did. I'm so thankful.
On Saturday, a dear person pointed at the mountains and said something like,
"Look at those. God sees more beauty in us than in those".
Whoa.
Rest in that truth today.
God sees no stain.
God sees us in perfection.
Yes we sin and need Him.
Our need for Him and our going to Him leads us to this beautiful rest in Him.
Rest in Him.
He loves you something fierce.


Side note (which is why it's over here on this side)
I write for a lovely blog call the be.loved blog.
It's such an honour to get to write there.
If you haven't checked them out yet you certainly should.
Jesus is doing cool work there.
This song made me think about all the people who read that blog.
I pray that Jesus tells them in this very moment that they are His beloved.
Side note over. Yay!