12 February 2013

{a walk through} psalm 13



Starting January 2013, I decided to take a little step into a semi big blog commitment. I'm going to walk through the Psalms on my blog. Until the book is done, I'll post a verse or two in a photo every single Tuesday and Thursday. The heart of this series is for me to be looking into the word and being intentional to post HIS words here. Sometimes it'll just be the one photo as a blog post, sometimes I'll share what the words in the verse meant to me as I read it, and sometimes I'll have a post going on that day that speaks of other things. Thanks for joining me in this Psalm walk through.

Today enters one of my most favourite Psalms.


Off the top of my head, my favourite Psalms are Psalm 25, 34, 46, and this one, Psalm 13.

This Psalm, if you were to look in an older Bible of mine (I can't quite remember if I've written it in my new Bible), has a name written beside it. I won't share the name here, but it is someone who I have committed to pray for through all things, and I often need to turn to the Lord and ask for His help in my prayers.

I also head here when I am at my most broken (well, or here). God welcomes our prayers of lamentation. He wouldn't have allowed a book filled with Lamentations or this books of Psalms that display such an array of emotion if He did not expect to hear the same from us.

I love it, not only because it is filled with sorrow, but also because it ends so beautifully. Verses 5 and 6 ring out as truth that I have to make sure my prayers end with. God can hear all sorrow and pain, and because of that, I want to end prayers confidently praising the Lord that He is.

    But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
        my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
    I will sing to the LORD,
        because he has dealt bountifully with me.
Psalm 13:5-6

Where do you go in scripture when you need to cry out to God? In those moments of lament, and in those seasons of suffering?

P.S. I'm sharing some words over on Naptime Diaries today. Check my words out okay? K. Cool.