29 April 2013

11 facts

Okay. So I'm a tad bit late to the party, but a few weeks ago, Erica over at Visible Musings did a fun questions & answer post. She tagged me in the fun so I'm answering today! Erica is lovely. If you aren't a current reader, you should be! Her post is much prettier than mine, and I was just starting to add photos to this post when blogger decided to act funky and not let me add more for today. So alas, this post will simply have the two that made the cut!

OKAY AND GO!

okay almost go: P.S. This post is wordy. You've been warned!

11 facts:

1. I'm a weird combo of extrovert and introvert. While I notice it more now as an adult, even in high school when I took the personality tests, I flew right in the center. I'd say I'm an extrovert when I'm out in public, but if I don't have my little moments at home, I get tired. That's part of the reason I love blogging so much because it allows me to use both of these parts of myself. I get to speak, but there is nobody around. It's quite nice.

2. Speaking more into that first fact, I'm more scared going into a group of people that I do know than I am in a group of strangers. Odd yes. True. yes. Case in point, I went to a concert last weekend with a bunch of people I didn't know and I had a blast because I'm a good first impression. Maybe that's an odd thing to say, but I tend to get along with people right away when I meet them. In contrast to that fact, I also love hanging out with friends, but I enjoy it most when I know ahead of time. If a friend texts me after I've settled in at home after work, it's harder for me to go out. But if I know I'm going out, I'll almost always say yes. I also tend to love one-on-one conversations more than big group things. I just get me some overwhelmed feelings.

3. I love decorating my home. It's been really fun over the past few years as I've lived in one place. My roommates have switched, but the space remains mine. I've loved adding lots of photo walls filled with prints and art. I find my apartment really homey. I have dreams of fixing the things that bother me in it, but those will have to wait for the season when the money grows on trees. I'm thinking that is any day. Or not! 

4. I'm the youngest of four. My oldest sibling is 13 years older, the next 12 years older, and the one that's closest in age is 8 years old. Aka I was a little bit of a oooooh wow we're pregnant type of baby! I've got a great family. I'm really thankful for my relationship with each person. My oldest sister has 6 kids, my brother has one, and my youngest sister has one. It's a blast around here. 4 children have been added since this photo.



5. I moved to the city I live in now, Vancouver, to find Jesus. I had largely walked away from following Jesus and knew that I needed a new space in order to start afresh. Similar to the idea of being a new creation, not just a redone old one - I needed new. I needed a space where I didn't know anybody and where I could start living for Jesus with my whole heart without all the old temptations.

6. These facts are probably all too long. That is a fact.

7. Fresh flowers are the way to my heart. If you get me some, I'll love you forever because it means you've been paying attention. I actually buy myself flowers quite often. They make life feel a bit more bright, and I'm all about that.



8. The other way to my heart is a card in the mail. I promise it'll make my day.

9. Because of my love for receiving cards, I try to take a day every month or two to write a bunch of cards. I actually recently started making cards and am currently trying to figure out the best way to start selling them.

10. Coffee. Red wine. Amber ale. All of these also fall into the category of ways to win me over.

11. I love blogging. That's a fact!

My answers:

1. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
    I'd love to learn to keep a clean house. It's one of a list of many things where I lack talent. Other areas include finances and fitness. I've been praying a bit about my finances lately. I know I need to work on them, to figure out a way to not be in dept. I'm still unsure about whether I'll blog through my process or not. I'm inspired by Brittany over at Where my Soul Belongs.

2. What inspires you or brings you joy?
     It brings me joy when I'm having a conversation with somebody and the gospel plays a big role. Whether it's one of us offering truth to the other, or sharing what Jesus has done in our life, it's my favourite. I get really really really bored and slightly agitated when I'm in a conversation and Jesus isn't mentioned.

3. In what way has blogging helped change you?
     I think having this blog has been good for me. It has forced me to stick with something. I'm not always great at long-term things; this blog is one of very few things I've really stuck with. I love that it forces me to be disciplined, not only to be writing, but also to be seeking Jesus. If I'm not constantly filling up my spirit with His truth, I won't be sharing good content. So it's a perfect little balance.

4. Favourite book(s)?
    One downfall of blogging is that reading a full book is hard! I'm so used to 300 word glimpses of stories. But, I read "A Meal with Jesus" by Tim Chester last year and loved it. I'm currently and slowly working through "You can Change" (Tim Chester), "Instruments in the Redeemers Hands" (Paul David Tripp), and "Boundaries" (Cloud & Townsend)

5. Where would you go if you could travel without any limitations?

     I'd love to travel in Europe. Not backpacking though, in nice style. I'm very jealous of Margaret of Floral & Frayed because she's heading to Greece for the summer. I'd love to do that. Greece. Spain. Italy. Those are places I hope to see one day.

6. What has been a growing experience for you in the past year?
     This past year has really been one of suffering and hurt. Not necessarily by people, but by circumstance. It's been a year where saying I trust You Lord has taken on new meaning. I can say it now with far more conviction that I could have a year ago. While I might wish certain issues had been resolved sooner, I wouldn't trade the faith I have now. Sanctification is necessary for a believer in Jesus, so I'll take the suffering if it means more hope.

7. How many times have you moved?
     I think 7. I spent some time overseas working for a hospital ship and the ship moved around so I don't know if our moves there count. So if so, a bit closer to 10 I think. Most of my moves have been in the past 6 years.

8. Do you have a favourite quote? What is it?
     "The busy have no times for tears" by Lord Byron. I've retired the quote because my best friend Christy told me I couldn't live that way anymore. But I still kinda like the quote.

9. If you could go back in time to witness a historical event, what would it be?
     I'd love to have been sitting around the mount when Jesus gave His sermon. To hear Him speak in person would have been so life changing. It's life changing just reading it, but wow, to be there. That would have been the best.

10. What nugget of truth would you like to pass on to your grandchildren?
     My parents often told us kids that love is a choice. While they meant it mostly for marriage, I utilize that truth in my life often. I have the choice how I will react to each person I encounter. I want to teach my kids and their kids and their kids to chose to love.

11. How will today matter five years from now?
     I have no idea. But I do think it will. I trust that God is constantly working in my life, and I know this because I can look back even 2 years and see huge change. I'm not who I once was. I'm excited to say that again in five years when I look back to today.


So there you have it! Got a question for me? Ask away!