24 April 2013

Satan is a stealer.

Sometimes I see a conversation on twitter that gets me excited. Monday night was such a night. I had just finished up watching a class from the Influence Network (a lovely class taught by Jessi on the Gospel aka the best news ever) so I was pumped up on Jesus and ready to share!

    For thus says the LORD,
    who created the heavens
        (he is God!),
    who formed the earth and made it
        (he established it;
    he did not create it empty,
        he formed it to be inhabited!):
    “I am the LORD, and there is no other.
Isaiah 45:18

Two absolutely wonderful lovelies, Brittany and Amanda, inspired by a post Amanda had shared, were talking about how Satan tends to tell us surprisingly similar lies. He varies them just oh so slightly, but typically they're just reused from yesterday because Satan isn't very creative. I jumped into their conversation and said:


I think this is something that is really and truly important for us as believers to remember.

Before I continue, I've got admit that I'm a fearful soul. I've shared this before, but any post where I distinctly talk about Satan and how he's an utter idiot, well, that causes me to fear. It causes me to wonder what will happen when I climb into bed later. It causes me to wonder how he plans to combat me.

I fight on the winning side but that doesn't stop Satan from making attempts to dismantle me.

So I'll tell that tweet to myself (aka I'm going to preach the gospel to myself, the truth that Jesus died for my sins and that Satan does nothing to offer me freedom because my freedom was paid for by Christ and provided to me by Christ) and I'll share it again.


Satan is not creative at all because he is not a creator. He's a stealer. Stealers aren't creative. God is creative.
    In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
    And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
Genesis 1:1-3
 That in itself, the fact that there was nothing and then there was something, all because God spoke, that fact should cause us to rest at ease in God's ability to help us.

Side note. The ESV Bible records the word Satan 49 times. It records the word God 3930 times and Jesus 1058 times.

Do you know what Satan creates?

I'm temped to say nothing but I'll tell you a couple things.

He creates tension.
He creates disillusions.
He creates questions of doubt.

God creates other things. Many many things. All things that are good.

God creates unity.
God creates truth.
God not only creates love, God is love.

Tension builds nothing but headaches and heartbreaks.
Disillusions rob us. They utterly rob us.

And here's the thing. Jesus went through the ultimate robbing when He hung on the cross. He was robbed of His life so that those of us who call up on Him never ever have to be.

All Satan offers us is more robbing. And why oh why do we want to be robbed? Oh wait, we don't! COOL! We can rest in Jesus. Phewf!

So let's walk in the knowledge that God is a creator of good things.
And He created us.
And Satan, well, he is an idiot.
So let's stop letting his whispers fill our mind with lies.
Let's walk forward in the freedom we have in Christ.

I feel like I've shared enough of my own words for the day. If you need a little reminder of some truth, here is some for ya:

    But now thus says the LORD,
    he who created you, O Jacob,
        he who formed you, O Israel:
    “Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
        I have called you by name, you are mine.
    When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
        and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
    when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
        and the flame shall not consume you.
Isaiah 43:1-2
     For your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you, but I want you to be wise as to what is good and innocent as to what is evil. The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
Romans 16:19-20
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:8-10 
    For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
   Colossians 1:16-17